Wiltshire and Swindon Biological Records Centre

Submit Records

All your wildlife records are important, whether they are of common species or a county rarity. We need your records to build an up-to-date picture of what’s happening to species in Wiltshire and Swindon. If you have already sent us records, thank you very much.

These records are made available to others for many different purposes such as development control and planning, land management and nature conservation work. They are also provided to the National Biodiversity Network (NBN) Gateway  

There are four essentials to remember in order to provide us with really useful records:

  • What is the precise species - give the scientific (Latin) and/or English name (if there is one).
  • Where did you see it - give a precise location and a six figure grid reference.
  • When did you see it - day, month, year.
  • Who saw it - give a name. If you did not identify it, also give us the determiner’s name.

How to send us your records

There are a number of ways you can send us your records, these are:

  • On-line - Our preferred option is for records to be submitted using Living Record. It is an easy way to submit all your records directly to the WSBRC and designated verifiers.
  • Electronic recording form - Using an electronic recording form is a quick and easy way to submit a number of records using a simple spreadsheet. 
  • Printable forms - You can also download a printable recording form for recording at a site or to simply write down any individual species sightings you make. Then just post back to us.

By sending your records to the WSBRC you are agreeing to your records being used by the WSBRC in accordance with its role as a Local Records Centre.

If you have non-Wiltshire records you can submit them directly to the relevant Local Record Centres (LRCs) or equivalent organisations throughout the UK.

Do you need help with identifying what you saw? Get in touch with the County Recorders. They are a network of appointed specialists who will be able to help with identification of a particular sighting.  


Take a look at what has been sent to us recently!

Our recent sightings map highlights some of the records that have been submitted to us in the last few weeks. Many of these records are accompanied with amazing photos or video which are showcased on our wildlife moments page  

A butterfly helping with identification!, Gary Mantle/ WWT


6-spot burnet, David Mitchell/ WSBRC


Jay, Darin Smith/ WWT



The WSBRC is housed at Wiltshire Wildlife Trust, a Company Limited by Guarantee and registered as a charity. No. 266202
Registered Office: Elm Tree Court, Long Street, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 1NJ. Limited Company No. 730536